My Polar Bears



As promised in my last blog, I am using this week’s blog to tell the story of how I met my three best friends at school. Since the beginning of the first semester, Felicia, Marie, Kelly and I have been practically inseparable. Although the four of us are completely different from each other, we share a strong bond and each relationship offers different strengths to keep us close as a group. I knew all three of them previously, some better than others, and knew the dynamic we would have as a group would be something special. I can’t imagine my life without each of these girls, they have taught me some of life’s best lessons already in the first year of college. Each story represents a different relationship that has made me the person I am today and without them, my experience at Ohio Northern would be nowhere near the same.

First, let’s start off with my roommate Felicia, one of the sassiest, and recently described as “spiciest”, people I have ever met, which is perfect for her since she is Italian. I met Felicia on the ONU Facebook page for accepted students when
I creepily stalked her to see if she was potential roommate material. While was scrolling through her Facebook profile, I noticed she played volleyball for her high school team, so I made the connection and decided to message her. About a week before I messaged her first, her and her boyfriend had broken up, so we always joke I was the replacement boyfriend. Anyways, we continued to message back and forth for awhile, before we actually met in person. We finally had the chance to meet at Black and Orange Day at Ohio Northern, where we connected well and later that day, decided we would be roommates. We continued to text throughout the summer so when it came time to move in, I had a good grasp on the type of person she is. Or at least I thought I did. Felicia and I have always been told we are similar, but sometimes, we couldn’t be more different. She internalizes her emotions, where I externalize them, and although it seems bad
being so opposite, it has proven to be a good thing. I don't quite know what I expected coming into this year when it comes to Felicia, but I know I did not imagine her being one of my best friends. She knows me better than anyone and pushes me outside my comfort zone to be a better person everyday, which I could not be more grateful for. Today, we are future roommates, sorority sisters (something that still cracks me up) and club volleyball teammates. Spending all so much time together, you would think we would be tired of each other by now, but I know it is just the beginning of our friendship. I can’t wait to see how we develop as friends in the future because without her, I would forget to shower, not have a ride anywhere and would be a completely different person.

I grew up in the same town as Marie and I was friends with her in elementary school, but I don’t think I really knew anything about her until we came to school. Once we hit junior high, we weren’t close at all and drifted apart
as friends. Then junior and senior year hit, where we had a few classes together, which brought us back together as friends. Once I found out she was considering Ohio Northern as one of her options, I did not leave her alone for the next three months. Because I pestered her so much about it, I believe she chose ONU just to appease me, but she says otherwise. In the summer, I created a rule where she had to hang out with me at least once a week so we would be friends going into college. That is when she should have realized what she was getting herself into for the next four years. Everyone in Oakwood doubted we would continue to be friends at Ohio Northern, and honestly I think we both did too. She hung out in our room a decent amount of the time in the beginning, but was hesitant to all the time
because she was worried about bothering Felicia and me. Until she decided to move from across the building to two doors down the hall; that is when the real fun began. Everyone from our high school is still confused how we are friends, but at this point, I think we are stuck with each other. We fight like sisters, but without her being in my room everyday, I think Felicia and I would be pretty bored, especially since she is our third roommate. I know she is worried about next year when we are not down the hall from each other, but if I don’t have her in my life, I know how much will change. Marie deals with everything I throw at her and knows exactly what to say, which is all I can ask out of her. Despite our background, and her doubt, I know she will be apart of me for the rest of my life because I gave her a college, job and prom date (you’re welcome Marie).

Last, but certainly not least, would be my dear Kelly G. I met Kelly at summer orientation when we were in the same group,
and felt like we were the only normal ones in our group. I actually approached her because she was wearing a pair of Jack Rogers, which is a shoe brand that is popular at my high school. From orientation, we talked a little throughout the summer, but didn’t make much of a connection until we got to school in the fall. For some odd reason, we created a strong connection from the start and she was constantly dealing with my changing emotions. Kelly is on the swim team, so it was hard to see her all the time, but she always made time to visit us almost every night. We have sat screaming until one in the morning sometimes because with us, no detail is ever spared. Kelly and I know just about everything about each other and always have something to talk about. We
can never accurately identify when we became so close because our friendship developed at such an alarmingly fast rate. I think she is the person  we have shared the craziest memories with that span from numerous college visits to the time she got electrocuted in the middle of the night. I don’t know if I can every fully describe what Kelly means to me because she is such a unique friend to all of us and without her, I don’t think any of us would be the same.

This blog was unnecessarily long and maybe even boring, but these are the people who are the most special to me and I felt like I needed to share it with the world. I have so much more I could say about each of them, but I have already rambled on long enough. All that is left to be said is I am forever grateful for these girls and I cannot imagine my freshman year without them and their late night visits.

Comments

  1. I truly believe that you find your best friends for life in college! I still talk to 2 of my good friends from home, but I would truly be lost without the friendships I've made here at ONU. I think it's awesome that you guys are all different but can be so close still: opposites attract! Also love that one of you best friends is also one of you sisters in your sorority! My freshman roommate and I were best friends and are both zetas now, as well as 2 of my best friends now are thetas so like go greek or go home am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so great that you have such good friends already! I know it takes me a while to be really comfortable with people, so true friends are such a gift. Its funny, I know Marie! We are sorority sisters and I was her bid day buddy! It is such a small world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts