Procrastinating...

As a college student, some weeks are busier than others when it comes to assignments, meetings and other responsibilities. I thought my teachers in high school planned due dates in the same week, but I would have never complained if I knew what it was like in college. Especially being a public relations major and only writing papers or doing projects. When most of my friends do homework, they are taking notes every night of the week because their exams are so frequent. While they are completing their homework with paper and pencil, I’m typing away for hours on end because I have three papers due the next day.

I think another difference between my friends in other majors and me is the motivation to do work frequently. As I said before, I don’t have assignments due often; they typically pop up around the same time and tend to be lengthy. Now, I am not generalizing all public relations majors into one category, but many of my PR friends tend to procrastinate most assignments. I think it is because of the fast-paced and ever-changing industry that is public relations. Being able to react to a crisis under pressure is key to the success of any professional in this field since it is difficult to know what will happen next in a business. For this reason, being able to think on my toes is something I have learned rather quickly in the time I have been at school. Although it still takes me awhile to get to things, I have the ability to do them quickly and I am able to get to the point quickly.

Being in a major that is on the opposite end of the spectrum than most of friends has caused them to stress out about my work more than I do. It obviously makes sense for them to stress out about my work, but because public relations is such a unique field, it is hard for people to understand. I am not saying all PR people are like this with their work, I know plenty of people who get their work done way in advance. Because of the setup of this industry, it makes it easy to put off until the last minute. In summary of this blog, I am procrastinating a paper right now and wanted to make myself feel better about it. But don’t worry Mom, I’ll get it done!

Comments

Popular Posts